Re: T-tail

Date:         10 Sep 97 19:38:44
From:         "john r." <john@guava.demon.co.uk>

Steven.Nicolaou@zippo.com writes
>I read somewhere that T-tails have poorer handling at low speeds. Why is
>this? Also, what other disadvantages do T-Tails have compared to non-T-tail
>aircraft and what advantages (for that matter) do they have in order to
>be preferred to non-T-tails?

I understood one of the main disadvantages of a T tail aft engine mount
config is weight.
Most power generated by the engines is dissipated or absorbed by the
wings so a heavier rear fuselage structure is needed to carry the
engines and tail structure and transmit the thrust forward to the wings.
This also complicates the wing/fuselage structure which must carry the
thrust.
The wings also dont have the mass balance of the engines that helps
prevent flutter and so have to be stronger than would at first appear.

Another point is large fuel and air ducts being taken through a
pressurised fuselage, always a weak point.

--
john r.