Re: Leading Edge fences

Date:         10 Sep 97 19:38:43 
From: (C. Marin Faure)
Organization: Northwest Nexus Inc.
References:   1
Next article
View raw article
  or MIME structure

In article <airliners.1997.2068@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
(BAEJS3201) wrote:

> Hey out there can anyone answer a question for me??? I've noticed that
> aircraft with aft mounted engines(727,DC9/MD80 and maybe Fokkers)have what
> looks like a fence on the leading edges of the wings. Is this to straighten
> the airflow for the engines????

If you're talking about what I think you are talking about, the fences you
have observed are the leading edge devices. On some planes they hinge
downward, on others they extend forward and down.  They are used in
conjunction with the trailing edge flaps to alter the airflow around the
wing to allow the plane to fly at a slower and safer speed during takeoff
and landing.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane