Re: Korean Air 801 crashed on approach to Guam

Date:         08 Sep 97 02:03:52
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

JF Mezei wrote:
>Karl Swartz wrote:
>> Correct.  United pilots have told me that with the really long 747-400
>> flights, which have not one but two relief pilots who fly only the
>> cruise portion of the flight, the relief pilots don't manage the three
>> takeoffs and landings within three months needed to maintain their
>> currency.  They have to go back and fly the sims to stay current.
>
>When the relief crew  is sleeping in the pilot quarters, does this count
>as flying hours in terms of monthly limits/quotas ?

The limits are based on on-duty time, and I believe they are on-duty
during the entire course of the flight.  However, this has nothing to
do with the currency of their pilot's license -- that's based on
takeoffs and landings while at the controls, and not cruise time
regardless of whether they're sleeping or at the controls.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com