Re: Why are all airliners white?

Date:         08 Sep 97 02:03:52
From:         Marc Schaeffer <marcmsc@geocities.com>
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5

Bill Chivers wrote:

> Recent research suggests that darker paint schemes are easier to see.
> Since the human eye spots things by shape and contrast, trying to
> contrast with a (usually) bright background (the sky) by having a bright
> paint scheme is pretty much a waste of time.
>
> Black, on the other hand, usually cause a good contrast with the
> background.
>
> A result of this is the the RAF has now adopted black paint scemes for
> its training aircraft (UK posters may have noticed black Hawks and
> Tucanos over the last couple of years).

Sorry, but the RAF surely doesn't want it's a/c to be seen. The
interests for civil and military a/c painting jobs are certainly totally
different. I remember that in WW2 the 'Luftwaffe' had one of it's
Heinkel (?) a/c painted blue under the wings and grey/brown on the other
parts. They just didn't want to be seen. Of course this is especially
valid if you are in a conflict ...

Brgds,
Marc Schaeffer, Luxembourg // mailto:marcmsc@geocities.com
---->>>>> Check out my aircraft homepage <<<<<----