Re: Questions about the DH Comet

Date:         08 Sep 97 02:03:49
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>There are, or were, a couple in the US of A.
>One used to be one at Chicago, I think it went to Oshkosh ?

Only if there's a scrapyard at Oshkosh.  Many people invested a lot of
work trying to get it to the Smithsonian, but unfortunately, they ran
out of money and it was cut up.

>The other is at Boeings Everet field, looking very tatty and hiden away
>in a corner. Any plans to meke it presentable ?

I suspect Snohomish County, owner of Paine Field in Everett, would
highly object to your giving their airport to Boeing!  :-)

Anyway, I was there a few weeks ago, and saw the Comet, which along
with the #1 727 is outside behind the Museum of Flight's restoration
center.  It didn't look too ratty on the outside other than most of
the tires being flat.  I wouldn't expect much of the inside, though.
I've heard that when they opened it up after many years of sitting
in the damp weather of the Pacific Northwest, it was pretty disgusting.
Given that the exterior didn't look like it had been restored to mint
condition, they may not have done too much with the interior.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com