Re: Questions about the DH Comet

Date:         08 Sep 97 02:03:48
From:         westin@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)

t.o.berg@labmed.uio.no (Trond Olav Berg) writes:

<snip>

> How many years was it in traffic, and which routes did they fly most
> frequently?

Well, it's still in service, I believe. The RAF Nimrod, an
anti-submarine warfare plane, is a modified Comet, and I think these
are still flying.

> Was it a safe plane?

Another poster has alluded to the early structural problems. I think
these basically came about because the Comet was the first of its
kind: much was learned the hard way about metal fatigue in repeated
takeoff/flight/landing cycles. Previous planes flying at that sort of
altitude and speed (i.e. military jets) weren't subject to the many
flights that an airliner endures.

The procedures used to diagnose the Comet's difficulties form the
basis of many policies that assure today's excellent airliner safety:
reconstruction of wreckage, low-pressure fatigue test rigs, etc.

<snip>

--
Stephen H. Westin