Re: Airliner Windows

Date:         08 Sep 97 02:03:45
From:         bartscher@aol.com (Bartscher)

M. Yan Chin wrote:

> Is there a technical reason why all airliners seem to have the same
> small windows?  Larger ones seem like such an obvious thing to do to
> enhance passenger comfort.

I would be interested to find out if it costs Gulfstream significantly
more to install the huge windows they put in their corporate jets than it
costs Boeing to put in a larger number of the small windows. The huge oval
windows on a G-IV are a big improvement over any airliner I have ridden on.

As for window heights, I have noticed that the windows on McDonnell
Douglas products are higher off the floor and also seem to be slightly
bigger than Boeing windows. The Canadair RJ is the worst as far as low
window height but I hear that they are raising the window line on the new
CRJ-700.

Eric Bartsch
bartscher@aol.com