Re: T-tail

Date:         08 Sep 97 02:03:44
From:         amuir@twsu.campus.mci.net (Andrew Muir)

   Steven.Nicolaou@zippo.com wrote:
>I read somewhere that T-tails have poorer handling at low speeds. Why is
>this? Also, what other disadvantages do T-Tails have compared to non-T-tail
>aircraft and what advantages (for that matter) do they have in order to
>be preferred to non-T-tails?

Its not the low airspeed but high angle of attack that gets T-tails.  If you
are at low air speed and go to High aoa, the stabilizer gets into the wings
dirty air causing the tail to stall and resulting in a crash.  To avoid this
the stick pusher was developed early in th elife of the 727 and
BAC-111.