Re: Power for Take-Off

Date:         08 Sep 97 02:03:42
From:         Marc Schaeffer <marcmsc@geocities.com>

Jack Sanders wrote:

> (snip) I expressed concern about losing power in one engine at a
> more critical point (liftoff), but he assured me that a fully loaded
> B757 would still have enough power to leave the ground.  Was he just
> trying to soothe my fears, since the event already passed, or is the
> plane actually that powerful?

Twins are grossly overpowerd, part of the certification is to shut down
one engine just after takeoff. On four engine jets, certification
requires takeoff with 3 engines. I recall an AI report where the A340
was even taking off at high altitude (Quito ??) with 3 engines. However
I don't know the conditions -- maximum takeoff weight, alititude,
temperature -- which are required by certification. Does somebody out
there have those conditions ?

Just my $.02,
Marc Schaeffer, Luxembourg // mailto:marcmsc@geocities.com
---->>>>> Check out my aircraft homepage <<<<<----