Re: aborted takeoff and brake damage

Date:         08 Sep 97 02:03:41
From:         l.a.ram@ix.netcom.com (Louis A. Ramsay)

In <airliners.1997.2041@ohare.Chicago.COM> "Richard Isakson" <rwi@whidbey.com> writes:
>Peter <peter@whistler.ee.uec.ac.jp> wrote in article <airliners.1997.2019@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> 1: what exactly needs to cool down after such a heavy brake
>.application? Is it the hydraulic fluid or the brake discs and pads
>>themselves? I dont understand why hot brake surfaces should work
>>less effectively than cold ones, unless they melt or something

     Some years ago, Seaboard-World had a section in their Operations
Manual that listed various gross weights for the different type
aircraft they were operating.  If you landed ABOVE that weight, (and we
are talking just a normal landing) the aircraft was required to sit on
the ground for 50 minutes to an hour to allow the brakes to cool before
the next taxi and takeoff.  (You can well imagine the difference in
heat from an aborted- or rejected-takeoff as opposed to a "normal"
landing.) There was no provision for decreasing the amount of "rest"
even if you assisted the cooling process with either fans or
air-conditioner blowers.

     As our company prided itself on minimum-time turn arounds for
refueling, Seaboard-World's rule wuld sort of "frost" the refueling
crew.  They would get the plane refueled in record time, but then watch
the plane sit out the hour until it was again "legal" to start taxiing.

     Lou.