Re: aborted takeoff and brake damage

Date:         08 Sep 97 02:03:40
From:         jf mezei <"[non-spam]jfmezei"@videotron.ca>
Followups:    1 2 3

Richard Isakson wrote:
> immediately.  But what happens if you have to abort a second time?  The
> brakes can only take so much heat before they break or catch fire and they
> haven't dissipated all the heat from the last stop.  Therefore, it's
> necessary to give the brake a chance to cool off before the next takeoff.

Assuming no wait prior to second attempt to take off, with brakes still
hot, what would happen when the landing gear is retracted in the wheel
wells?

Would this not be a much more important factor to requiring a cool-down
period prior to take off compared to the chance of a second abort ?

I know that a few years ago a Nationair DC-8 crashed in the middle east
shortly after takeoff because of faulty tire inflation which caused a
tire to catch fire and then the whole plane was destroyed by fire.