Re: Gimli 767 nose gear

Date:         13 Jan 97 18:35:32
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1997.131@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Kees de Lezenne
Coulande <100121.1153@CompuServe.COM> wrote:

>      Mr Faure seems to have a rather strong opinion on the condition of the
> "Gimli glider" nosewheel. I have a copy of the official Canadian
> accident report  (extensive quote from accident report)

Well, I can't argue with the official report.  I am puzzled, however, why
we have all these photos here at Boeing (I'm looking at one now) that
clearly show the 767 sitting with its nose off the ground and resting on
one of the race track barriers.

> P.S. Although I cannot claim to be floatplane pilot, I have flown some
> circuits with a float-equipped Cessna 172 from lake Union in Seattle,
> under the guidance of the old Kurtzer himself no less.

I received my Single Engine Seaplane rating in the early 1980s from Lana
Kurtzer, probably in the same 172 you flew in.  He went out of business in
the late 80s and passed away a few years ago.  He was a unique individual,
and a terrific pilot.  I was instrument rated at the time and had spent
many hours flying a C-206 in Hawaii, so I tended to refer to the panel a
lot and change attitude with the trim.  He couldn't stand that, so he
would cover up every instrument on the panel except the tachometer and
airspeed indicator and tell me that everything I needed to fly the
airplane properly was visible out the windshield or could be felt through
the bottom of the seat.  If I even so much as reached for the trim wheel
he yelled at me.  He was right (VFR technique only...)

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane