Re: Airliner Windows

Date:         06 Sep 97 02:55:08
From:         shafer@ferhino.dfrc.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer)

On 28 Aug 97 22:33:34 , Peter Coe <petercoe@bigfoot.com> said:

P> My personal complaint about most windows is that they are mounted
P> far to low in the cabin walls.  The top of the window is usually
P> below my eye level.

Ah, but for me they're just perfect.  I look out just above the center
of the window.  But I'm short (63 in.) and long-legged and I'm usually
looking at the ground, so this is hardly surprising.

Consider that in the US the average height of women is 63.6 in. and
the average height of men is about 68 in.  The average woman looks
through the center and the 4 or 5 in. taller average man looks out of
the top of it.  Furthermore, most people do look down most of the time
they look out.  After all, the cockpit crew tells us that the Grand
Canyon is visible off the right side of the airplane, not that there's
a pretty Cu-Nim cloud top above us on the left.
--
Mary Shafer               NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA
SR-71 Flying Qualities Lead Engineer     Of course I don't speak for NASA