Re: Airliner Windows

Date:         06 Sep 97 02:55:07
From:         k_ish <kenish@ix.netcom.com>

Ken Jongsma wrote:
> "M. Yan Chin" <kiddoc@concentric.net> wrote:

> >Is there a technical reason why all airliners seem to have the same
> >small windows?  Larger ones seem like such an obvious thing to do to
> >enhance passenger comfort.
> <snip>
> Along the same lines, why are the windows set so low in the fuselage?

A few aircraft such as the Rockwell Saberliner have triangular windows.
I have never flown in one, but this design is supposed to minimize
window area and perimeter stress while providing excellent downward
visibility.

BTW, from factory photos and personal tours, I have the impression that
Boeing fuselages start out with window holes cut into the fuselage skins
pretty early in the assembly process.  OTOH, MD (at least narrowbody)
has the fuselage pretty much complete before window holes are cut
(punched) out.

Is my impression correct?  What about Airbus?

Ken Ishiguro