Re: Dangerous Aircraft lighting

Date:         05 Sep 97 17:27:25
From:         shafer@ferhino.dfrc.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer)

On 28 Aug 97 02:30:42 , rjw@atc.dra.hmg.gb (Richard Weatherill) said:

R> k_ish <kenish@ix.netcom..com> wrote:

>- Road vehicles don't have a lighting system to clearly identify what
>type of car they are.  What would be the point?

R> Of course road vehicles don't have lights for identification
R> purposes - but then for road traffic management the identity of a
R> specific vehicle isn't usually important.

Actually, road vehicles _do_ have lights for identification purposes.
Trucks and tractor-trailer rigs (semis or artics) have running lights
on the trucks and trailers to help other drivers identify the vehicles
and adjust their driving accordingly.  The minimum lighting is
specified in the various vehicle codes, of course.

I think the minimum is a light on every corner, top and bottom, and a
light every so often for long vehicles.  The color, in the US. is
amber.

--
Mary Shafer               NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA
SR-71 Flying Qualities Lead Engineer     Of course I don't speak for NASA