Re: Why are all airliners white?

Date:         05 Sep 97 17:27:25
From:         no@junk.mail (Mike)

In article <airliners.1997.1943@ohare.Chicago.COM>, 73115.1041@compuserve.com
says...

>kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) wrote:
>>(Well, most of American's planes.  Some of the A300-600Rs may still
>>be painted grey, though in time all of them will be bare metal.)
>-
>Would you mind expanding on this? I thought the reason for they grey
>paint was that Airbus wasn't keeping track of the aluminum grain
>during the production process. Thus, a bare plane would look something
>like a checkerboard.

The explination given to me during a tour of AA's facilities in DallAAs was
the aluminum was gray in color rather than shiney so the planes were painted
white to attempt to match the existing bare scheme.  What was different other
than color was not said.  At the time (about 4 years ago) they already
decided they liked the bare color more than the white, and were slowly
converting over.  This was all explained when they were showing us slides of
AA aircraft and why the Airbus was painted at all.

--
Because the junk mailers of the world think my address is their play thing,
my e-mail address will not be revealed.  Please respond publicly.