Re: Why are all airliners white?

Date:         05 Sep 97 17:27:24
From:         "john r." <john@guava.demon.co.uk>

In article <airliners.1997.1886@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Karl Swartz
<kls@ohare.Chicago.COM> writes
>>Is there a reason why airliners are dominantly painted in white,
>>or is it simply that white paint is cheaper?!!
>

>The reason why most airliners are predominantly white is mostly
>because darker colors absorb more heat, meaning more work must be
>done by the air conditioning systems while sitting on the ground
>on a hot, sunny day.  (At cruise altitudes, the outside air is
>plenty cold.)

The white top idea to keep cool does not work too well. I went on one of
our new 777s (BA) with a white top which had been powered all day in the
sun with only one door open and it was 50c 122f in the cabin. I went for
a walk down to see what it felt like, first your ears burn, then your
eyes dry out. I dont recomend it.
Maybe it would be worse with a dark colour.
--
john r.