Re: Propellor "reverse thrust"

Date:         05 Sep 97 17:27:22
From:         Bill Chivers <Bill@chivcons.demon.co.uk>

In article <airliners.1997.1972@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Robert Reed
<aspect@wcinet.net> writes

>You can even back up the airplane by moving the levers back into reverse
>pitch.  It is not often used for this however, as it can sometimes cause
>brake problems if the brakes are applied while going backwards.

I don't know about brake problems, but a more likely worry is tipping
the aeroplane on its tail.

For our aeroplanes, company procedure for doing a 'power back' calls for
a specific check that both pilots feet are on the floor before using
reverse, the aircraft is then halted by application of forward thrust
until it is moving forward again, and only then may the brakes be used
to finally stop the aircraft.

Bill Chivers