Re: Airliner Windows

Date:         29 Aug 97 08:10:43
From:         westin@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)

"Patt" <real-address@bottom.net> writes:

> M. Yan Chin <kiddoc@concentric.net> wrote in article
> <airliners.1997.1887@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> | Is there a technical reason why all airliners seem to have the same
> | small windows?  Larger ones seem like such an obvious thing to do to
> | enhance passenger comfort.
>
> The size of the windows is proportional to pressurization differential

yes...

> for structural safety reasons...

no.

> ie: the Concorde has smaller windows (higher
> differential), than a Boeing airplane (7 1/2 - 8 psi)

But I believe this has to do with depressurization rates if a window
blows. According to Brian Calvert's lovely little book on the
Concorde, anyway. It seems that there are regulations pertaining to
how fast the air is lost vs. time to reach a breathable altitude, etc.

<snip>

just move the windows up in the fuselage; they are definitely too low
for me. Perhaps the designers assume that we only want to look down at
the ground...

--
Stephen H. Westin