Re: MD-17 vs. MD-11F/DC-10F

Date:         01 Jan 97 20:59:21
From:         mlyon <mlyon@ibm.net>

Karl Swartz wrote:

> I read an article about the 747-400F a while back.  It's main benefit
> compared to the 747-200F is greater range with a full cargo load.

On almost every route, the 400F outperforms the 200F.

> For
> many interesting cargo routes, however, it's range isn't enough more
> to eliminate fuel stops.  I think SFO-NRT was an example.  Both planes
> need a fuel stop, usually at ANC.  The fact that the -400F could fly a
> greater percentage of the flight before stopping is neither interesting
> nor useful.

Are you considering only transpac routes?  There are many others in the
world where the extra range of the 400F pays off very well.

> With a plentiful supply of inexpensive -200s which can be
> converted to freighters, the -400F was claimed to be a fairly difficult
> sell.

It's value is becoming more widely known as information dribbles out
from the three main operators (CV, SQ, Asiana).

Brgds,
s/Mark