Re: Logo Technology

Date:         29 Aug 97 08:10:41
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

>>concerning the new colours of China Airlines ... orchid (?)
>
>They web page (http://www.china-airlines.com/) notes the corporate
>identity change under the banner Era of the Plum Blossom, so I'd guess
>it's a plum blossom.  It's definitely not an orchid.

That's right.  It's definitely not an orchid.  It's the national flower
of Taiwan (well, Republic of China).  I believe the flower is actually
white in color, not pink nor purple as CI's color scheme might led you
to believe.

>>a logo or a decal ?
>
>Yes.  It's a logo, and almost certainly applied to the aircraft using
>a decal.

3M made the decal.  On one of the first flights (with the new logo
decals) many pieces fell off enroute to LAX.  CI was very unhappy
with 3M.  3M claimed the decal didn't work as expected because of
the high humidity in Taiwan.  I believe the problem has since been
resolved.