Re: Korean Air 801 crashed on approach to Guam

Date:         29 Aug 97 00:53:43
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>A typical 747 crew is going to average 60-80 hours of flight time a month.
>The typical flight will be 10-13 hours.  That is going to be 4-8 landings
>a month.  Divide that by two, you have the actual "pilot flying"
>responsibilities.  With ultra-long-haul flying, the situation is probably
>worse than this.

Correct.  United pilots have told me that with the really long 747-400
flights, which have not one but two relief pilots who fly only the
cruise portion of the flight, the relief pilots don't manage the three
takeoffs and landings within three months needed to maintain their
currency.  They have to go back and fly the sims to stay current.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com