Re: Airliner Windows

Date:         28 Aug 97 22:33:34
From:         Peter Coe <petercoe@bigfoot.com>

"M. Yan Chin" <kiddoc@concentric.net> writes:

>Is there a technical reason why all airliners seem to have the same
>small windows?  Larger ones seem like such an obvious thing to do to
>enhance passenger comfort.

Most airplane windows aren't small - Concorde's are small (think palm sized).
I must agree with your sentiments however, and the answer is very simply,
weight.  Windows are 3 or four layers of relatively thick plastic, plus
they are surrounded by significant bracing of the main airplane structure.

Purpose built freighter aircraft do not have either the windows, or the
bracing around the window holes.

My personal complaint about most windows is that they are mounted far to low
in the cabin walls.  The top of the window is usually below my eye level.