Re: 727 cooper vanes

Date:         28 Aug 97 22:33:34
From:         "Carl Peters, M.D." <cpeters@i1.net>

BAEJS3201 wrote:
> I recently talked to a mechanic at work and the subject of the Cooper Vane
> on the 727 aft airstairs came up. He said this has develop after the DP
> Cooper Hijacking.

These do exist - I have seen them up close on a TWA 727 at MCI maintenance.
It is a small vane that mounts on a spring loaded pivot on the fuselage next
to the aft stairwell door. It normally rests perpendicular to the airflow/aircraft
longitudinal axis. During takeoff, the airstream deflects the vane 90 degrees,
which slides the the body of the device across the door margin, thus precluding
the opening/lowering of the stairs.

Carl Peters