Re: Fracturing the Pacific

Date:         28 Aug 97 22:33:33
From:         lstone@wwa.com (Larry Stone)

In article <airliners.1997.1873@ohare.Chicago.COM>, m@bang.org wrote:
>JFK-SIN is long enough that the B777-200IGW just cannot fly it nonstop, and
>an aircraft cannot hold the route captive. The JFK-SIN flight would need to
>depart prior to the arrival of the SIN-JFK flight in order to have reasonable
>arrival and departure times at SIN.

Don't forget that airplanes have maintenance rquirements so scheduling a
route to hold one plane captive makes little sense if it doesn't allow
time for needed maintenance.

At least at UA, I believe a 747 needs a #3 service, essentially an
overnight check, every 45 flight hours. Note that this is insufficient for
two roundtrips JFK-NRT. If you were to dedicate a plane to a route like
JFK-SIN, it is going to need that overnight check at the end of every
roundtrip. And don't forget to allow for A checks (about weekly) and B
checks (about monthly) that can also be done during an overnight but do
require more hours (I believe a #3 service can be done during the 6 hours
or so our planes overnight in SIN - an A or a B check can't).

--
-- Larry Stone --- lstone@wwa.com
   http://www.wwa.com/~lstone/