Re: Dangerous Aircraft lighting

Date:         28 Aug 97 15:40:36
From:         "Peter Mchugh"<pmchugh@mail.hq.faa.gov>

>>There have been several accidents at UA with equipment hitting the aircraft
>>at night.  The paint job is so dark, with the midnight blue and grey, that
>>it is hard to see at night and judge how close or far away one is.

>Does UA use wingwalkers while reciving an aircraft at the gate? Do they
>clear the safety envelope before the aircraft arrives? Im not being rude.
>I am curious. These thing go a long way in preventing these kinds of
>accidents.

Please ignore the source address for my message...but, IMHO, there
should be no doubt that conspicuity of aircraqft is an important
issue...and blue and grey not the most conspicuous livery.  As long as
a carrier is willing to underwrite the expenses associated with ground
incidents, and the costs of liability there is currently little other
leverage that can be applied to encourage a change in aircraft paint.

Some current paint schemes are intuitively less visible than others.
One would hope rational thinking would prevail, and as aircraft are
cycled for refit/refurbish/painted the colors (conspicuity) would be,
from the safety perspective, improved.  Shouldn't take rulemaking or
legislation to make such common sense initiatives happen!!!