Re: Virgin Atlantic becomes first A340-600 customer; Air Canada orders

Date:         28 Aug 97 15:40:36
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

In article <airliners.1997.1932@ohare.Chicago.COM>,  <m@bang.org> wrote:
>Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang) wrote:
>> both Boeing and Airbus are working with SIA to launch either
>> a heavier B777-200X (than the originally proposed one) or a
>> high-gross-weight A340-500.
>
>The B777-200X proposal that Boeing was talking about several months ago had a
>MGTOW of 720,000lb. Boeing reportedly did not launch that design because it
>didn't meet SIA's range requirements (LAX-SIN year-round). Has a heavier
>MGTOW been proposed?

Most definitely.  However, I don't know what is the latest proposal.
American is another major airline that Boeing is working with to define
the B777-200X and -300X.  I think the earlier -200X proposal met AA's
requirement, but the -300X did not.  I believe AA's -300X requirement is
a plane capable of year-round, full-payload, non-stop service between
Dallas/Fort Worth and Tokyo.