Re: Why are all airliners white?

Date:         28 Aug 97 15:40:35
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

73115.1041@compuserve.com (Ken Jongsma) wrote:
>kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) wrote:
>>(Well, most of American's planes.  Some of the A300-600Rs may still
>>be painted grey, though in time all of them will be bare metal.)

>Would you mind expanding on this? I thought the reason for they grey
>paint was that Airbus wasn't keeping track of the aluminum grain
>during the production process. Thus, a bare plane would look something
>like a checkerboard.

I believe the last few AA A300-605Rs were delivered bare (other than
the composite parts, which must be painted).

As for the others, I had always heard the same as you, but Eastern
went to a bare scheme on many aircraft that had been built for them
in the days of white fuselages.  The result didn't look too ratty,
at least no rattier than you'd expect given Eastern's condition in
its final years.

AA didn't just strip their Airbuses at the first overhaul because
Airbus would have voided the warranty had they done so.  AA finally
twisted their arm hard enough to relent on the warranty issue.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com