Re: Q: Smoking on flight deck

Date:         28 Aug 97 02:30:45
From:         "Stefano P. Pagiola" <Spagiola@worldbank.org>

M Carling wrote:
>> ... Unless ol' Herb is a 121/135 flightcrew
>> member, he shouldn't be able to ride in the jumpseat-
>> even on "his" planes, right?? Anyone?
>
> Wrong. The FARs permit the airlines to allow anyone
> to ride in a jumpseat. The FAR # and rule have been
> posted here before. ... writing [an airline] a letter
> asking permission to ride in a jumpseat for a specific
> flight may work, particularly if you've paid full fare.

Well, it's very unusual to catch M in an error, but I
believe this is one such.

According to the FARs, part 121 section 547:

: Sec. 121.547 Admission to flight deck.
: (a) No person may admit any person to the flight deck
:  of an aircraft unless the person being admitted is--
: (1) A crewmember;
: (2) An FAA air carrier inspector, or an authorized
:     representative of the National Transportation
:     Safety Board, who is performing official duties;
: (3) An employee of the United States, a certificate
:     holder, or an aeronautical enterprise who has the
:     permission of the pilot in command and whose duties
:     are such that admission to the flight deck is
:     necessary or advantageous for safe operations; or
: (4) Any person who has the permission of the pilot in
:     command and is specifically authorized by the
:     certificate holder management and by the Administrator.
Herb Kelleher is an employee of Southwest (the "certificate
holder" in this case), but does not satisfy the other criteria
under point (3) above; ie his presence on the flightdeck is
neither required nor "advantageous to safe operation".  In
fact, the FARs go on specifically to state:

: For the purposes of paragraph (a)(3) of this section,
: employees of the United States who deal responsibly
: with matters relating to safety and employees of the
: certificate holder whose efficiency would be increased
: by familiarity with flight conditions, may be admitted
: by the certificate holder. However, the certificate
: holder may not admit employees of traffic, sales, or
: other departments that are not directly related to
: flight operations
Herb and M's hypothetical letter-writer could be given
permission to ride on the flightdeck under condition (4),
but it would require not just the airline's but also the
FAA's ("the administrator") approval (as well as the pilot).

FARs can be checked at
http://www.landings.com/_landings/pages/search_fars.html

Stefano
--
All opinions are my own.
Check out my web site (under construction) at