Re: Q: Smoking on flight deck

Date:         28 Aug 97 02:30:45
From:         k_ish <kenish@ix.netcom..com>

Brad Hunnewell wrote:
> Gary Welch wrote:
> > > ... the airlines have their own rules preventing staff members smoking on
> > > board.
> >
> > I've read that Southwest's chain-smoking CEO, Herb Kellerher, frequently
> > flies in the jump seat so he can smoke.
>
> Sounds like an urban legend. Unless ol' Herb is a 121/135 flightcrew
> member, he shouldn't be able to ride in the jumpseat- even on "his"
> planes, right?? Anyone?

On foreign carriers, I usually ask for a visit to the flight deck.  My
request has never been turned down.  This includes flights to / from US
cities.

Once, I was on a flight delayed into ORD.  I barely made the connecting
UA "puddle-jumper" flight, a 737.  They closed the door behind me,
pointed into the flight deck, and asked me to please give my carry-on to
the FO, as they were out of overhead and closet space.  He secured my
bag in the jumpseat, and apologized that regs would not let me ride in
the jumpseat and my carry-on in back!

Ken Ishiguro