Re: APUs on A340s

Date:         28 Aug 97 02:30:44
From:         Robert Carpenter <rcarpen@EROLS.COM>

k_ish wrote:
> > and all the cabin lights kept going off and on. Some lights that
> > looked like emergency lights came on a few times.
> >
> > What's the deal? Does the A340 have problems with its auxiliary power
> > units? Someone told me they did.
>
> Perhaps they do have APU problems, but the "light show" you saw was a
> different system.

Ah yes.  Almost 25 years ago I rode Brannif's *only* 747 from HNL to
Texas. Out over the ocean, the FAs would try to make announcements
standing directly under a speaker - so the PA system would screech
horribly.  Every time that happened there was a "moving sign" light show
of the reading lights in the cabin.  The FAs made a lot of
announcements, and when they had their mike open you could hear the
pilots when they talked on their SSB com transmitter.

Not entirely reassuring.

	Bob Carpenter