Re: Boeing 767-400

Date:         13 Jan 97 18:35:31
From:         M.J.Jennings@amtp.cam.ac.uk (Michael Jennings)

Simon Craig <simonlc@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>>I have flown on either an Ansett or an Australian Airlines 767 (I forget
>>which - it was in 1987) that had both an engineer's panel (albeit
>>truncated) *and* a living, breathing flight engineer.  What gives?
>
>I've had a good look at the Ansett flighties panel, an a fat lot a good it
>is.  The must be the most lightly worked flight engineers in the history of
>commercial aviation.
>
>The story I heard (and I have to admit it's a good one) was that it
>prevented a whole lot of legal action by the flight engineers of the time.
>I must admit, getting a special aeroplane just to appease flight engineers
>sounds a little ludicrous, but it's still a good story :-)

	Ansett bought those five 767s in the early 1980s, which turned
out to be a bit of a mistake. (Like in the US, passengers on domestic
routes preferred high frequencies to larger aircraft, and as a consequence
Ansett had trouble filling its 767s, as did the then TAA with its A300s).
Therefore, Ansett didn't add to the fleet for about a decade. When it did
eventually start buying more 767s, it came to a special deal with the
union to have two man crews on the new 767s as well as get rid of the
engineers on the old 767s. I believe some generous one off payments were
made to the people in question.

	Michael.
--
Michael Jennings
Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics

	"`I need every aluminum can you can find! And duct tape!"