Re: Reverse Thrust in Air (was Trident/More Weirdness))

Date:         28 Aug 97 02:30:41
From:         Tom Gibson <tgibson@sunstroke.sdsu.edu>

GERWOCII wrote:
> I belive the DC-8 is able to fly it's approach using reverse thrust. As a
> matter of fact ive seen a picture of it.

If you are talking about seeing a picture of a DC-8 with the rear of the
nacelles slid back behind the the engines, you are seeing the engine
silencer, not the reverser.  The reverser was not very obvious; the
silencers were VERY obvious, and I would predict led to a
misunderstanding that DC-8's could use reverse thrust during landing
(since this is when the silencers were extended).  (Until recently, I
thought it was for some kind of engine cooling, since I often saw the
silencers extended while taxiing).  The new DC-8 book describes the
silencers, with pictures.  Of course, I could be wrong, but this is my
best guess how this idea started.  Hope this helps.

--
Tom Gibson

Classic Airliner Page:    http://members.aol.com/TGFltsim/

AlcoHauler Locomotive Page: