Re: $%#% news media! (UA 737 engine failure in Portland, Or)

Date:         28 Aug 97 02:30:40
From:         gerwocii@aol.com (GERWOCII)

>Wayne Dohnal wrote:
>> A United 737 lost an engine on departure from Portland, Or. Friday morning
>> and returned with an uneventful landing.  The first report I heard on the
>> local news said that they dumped fuel before landing.  I didn't think the
>> 737 could dump fuel.  Can it?  And it was only on a 600 mile flight (to
>> SFO), so I wouldn't think they'd have full fuel anyway.
>>
>> Later in the afternoon the news report said  "they switched over to the
>> other engine and landed safely".  Makes me wonder what the general public
>> thinks after hearing this jibberish.  Does the media ever get it right?

Another srory on the media disinformation front in relation to aviation.
Actually this one isnt that serious but once again it demonstrates the
medias quest to get it wrong when it comes to aviation. Im sorry im
probally painting with a rather large brush. There was a picture on the
cover of the Chicago Tribune yesterday from the Air and Water show over the
weekend. The picture was a rather patriotic picture of a small boy watching
a AH-64 manuver over North Ave. Beach. The caption read something like. "A
boy watches a helocopter from the Vietnam war preform manuvers over the
beach" Once again the picture was an AH-64. I know this is picky but it
bothers me.

                     GERWOC

Uh Oh Here comes a flock of WHAAA WHAAA's!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Joe Walsh