Re: Information needed

Date:         28 Aug 97 02:30:39
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

In article <airliners.1997.1908@ohare.Chicago.COM>, 187 <lowwol@pacific.net.sg> wrote:>Marc Guimond wrote:
>> I was just recently told by uncertain sources that airplanes in the Boeing
>> 747-400 family where able to fly inverted.  I would like to know if it is
>> truely possible both theoretically and practically for such a massive craft
>> to do so.

>secondly, with the hump at the top, ie the upper deck, it is difficult
>to fly inverted at the current design.

Why would you think the hump would have any bearing on the matter?

>also, i do not think it possible to fly the plane inverted with engines
>at the top, rather than at the bottom.  btw, anyone thinks that it is
>still possible to fly upright with the engines at the top instead of
>below the wings?

If you mean to suggest that there's some inherent problem with having
the engines above the wing during level flight, the VFW 614 provides
an example of such a design -- it had two jets mounted on pylons above
the wing.  It wasn't terribly successful, but it did fly.  The Boeing
YC-14 is another aircraft with jets mounted (mostly) above the wing.

Without restricting oneself to jets, there are plenty of aircraft with
wing-mounted engines that are above the wing.  The Lockheed Electra,
Convair 580, and BAe (Hawker-Siddely) 748 come immediately to mind.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com