Re: Aer Lingus signs for A321s

Date:         27 Aug 97 03:57:56
From:         Antoin Daltun <adaltun@tinet.ie>
Followups:    1 2 3

At 02:22 18/08/97, you wrote:
>Niels Sampath wrote:
>>
>> Aer Lingus has signed for 4x A321s.
>> 2 in 1998  and 2 in 1999.
>> To operate the Dublin-LHR service.
>> Like the British Midland A320/321 deal this is somewhat surprising
>> since both are strong 737 operators.
>> This may have been the deal Boeing was once looking for to develop
>> the 737-900 (along with a Chinese airline).
>> Haven't heard about the -900 recently tho.
>
>This doesn't surprise me too much as Aer Lingus have been absolutely
>delighted with their A330's.  I wonder though how much EU influence was
>brought to bear?

Why should EU influence be assumed?

Boeing have an aircraft (B757) in the size category and a project (B737-900).

The aircraft has much longer range than Aer Lingus needs in Europe and is
much heavier and therefore more expensive to operate than the A321, for
almost the same capacity.  There are very few B757 scheduled airline
customers in Europe,  only:

BA  who introduced it to service in 1983, before the A320 had flown, so
long ago that it would not be too surprising if they were looking for
replacements for their older aircraft fairly soon!

Finnair who need the range for charter services

Iberia

Icelandair who probably need the range on N Atlantic services and charters
to Southern Europe & Africa.

Transaero

The A321 has sold better to Euroepan scheduled airlines, including Swissair
(non-EU), as well as Air France, Alitalia, British Midland, Lufthansa.

The B757 has sold better to charter airlines which need the range.

It has also built up a much better customer base in North America, partly
due to an earlier start and partly due to range.

The B757 would really only fit Aer Lingus if it wanted to operate a narrow
body on the North Atlantic and this does not seem to be in the current
plans with the A330 offering low cost per available seat-km plus much
better cargo capability than a narrow body.

The B737-900 is still a project.  Even with an early decision, entry to
service is several years away.  If it is launched, it may be attractive to
airlines whose timescale it fits.

In short, think "horses for courses" before assuming political pressures
and conspiracies.

Best regards

Antoin Daltun

ts passenger capacity will probably be limited by the number of exits