Re: adaptative wings

Date:         13 Jan 97 18:35:30
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1997.72@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "felix"
<felix@club-internet.fr> wrote:

> who could give me some information about "adaptative wings", i.e wings or
> winglets which profile is capable of being continuously deformed?
> thanks in advance

I know that back in the mid-1980s Boeing was working with NASA to develop
an adaptive wing.  They were using (I believe) an F-15 for this work at
Edwards AFB.  One of our producers went to Edwards several times in the
course of documenting the project on film for Boeing and the government.
I know the plane flew, but I have no idea of the final outcome of the
experiment.  The fact that we no longer seem to be involved with it
implies that it didn't work very well, was too expensive, or ran up
against some other obstacle.  I know the mechanism to change the shape of
the wing was very complicated.

C. Marin Faure
  author, Flying A Floatplane