Re: Fracturing the Pacific

Date:         27 Aug 97 03:57:54
From:         ergos <ergos@pacbell.net>

Karl Swartz wrote:
> That article says "the Russians charge an estimated $1,800 a flight
> for the limited flights they allow in an effort to get hard currency"
> plus extra "royalties."  The article quotes an estimation that it's
> necessary to save at least 18 minutes of flying time to make the
> shortcuts pay off.

Not really new, I think. Around 1986 or 1987, I had for the first time
the opportunity to fly several "direct routes" (Polar/Siberian) from
Western Europe to Japan, instead of the usual Alaskan stop over. The
numbers I heard at that time were much higher - in the order of $5000.
The equipment was to the best of my knowledge the same (747) but the
planes were more full (discussion with cabin crew) and the discounted
tickets way harder to find. With one less segment and about 5 hours
less, it was undoubtedly worth it... Wonder what Anchorage has become,
though?

Ergos