Re: Fracturing the Pacific

Date:         27 Aug 97 03:57:53
From:         vladimir@london.physics.purdue.edu (Vladimir P. Gusiatnikov)

M Carling wrote:

>kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) wrote:
>> I'd think it much more likely that one or more Russian airports on the
>> Arctic Coast would be upgraded as needed, which would allow the entire
>> Arctic region to be flown under the existing 180 minute rules.

>That would certainly solve the problem, but who would pay for it? Keeping
>runways free of snow year-round in northern Siberia would be expensive.

In the August 20 WSJ they have an article about the negotiations the
Siberian local officials held with the FAA recently concerning the
issues of opening new transpolar air routes. The article shows a map
compiled by the Siberians indicating Dikson and Khatanga as alternates
or technical stops for JFK/IAD/ORD-SIN and LAX/SFO-DEL/KHI.

The article does not indicate who would pay for the maintenance and
expansion of these airfields, although it stresses the fact that
Russia's overflight fees already are the highest in the world.

Vladimir