Re: Fracturing the Pacific

Date:         20 Aug 97 02:38:37
From:         jf mezei <"[non-spam]jfmezei"@videotron.ca>

m@bang.org wrote:
> Also, in the unlikely event of a B777 or A330 diversion to BRW, the aircraft
> might have to depart empty due to the short runway. Then smaller aircraft
> would need to be brought in to collect the pax. I don't think BRW has hotel
> rooms for 300 stranded pax. There might be some old Army barracks available.
> Sleeping outside would be unadvisable.

Inuvik (North West Territories, not far from Alaska border) has a fairly
long runway (capable of handling large transports (used for cruise
missile launch testing in years past). It also has daily jet service to
the south and I beleive that they manage to keep the runway open all
year round.

Barrow is definitely more "remote" than Inuvik.