Re: Fracturing the Pacific

Date:         20 Aug 97 02:38:37
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>> In all the ETOPS literature I've read (early feasibility studies, UA
>> flight supplement, etc.), the only alternate in Greenland is Sondre
>> Stromfjord, <snip>

>Someone in the NG is bound to have more precise info, but understand
>that Thule has a failrly good sized runway. Prior to it being
>decommsioned as a US Air Force base, USAF ran some pretty heavy iron
>in there.

About a year ago, someone mentioned that Thule has a 10,000 foot
asphalt runway, along with ILS and other instrumentation (good for
reducing the probability of weather-induced unavailability) and
all the ground support and emergency lodging one could want.  (See
http://www.chicago.com/airliners/archives.html for archives of the
sci.aeronautics.airliners newsgroup.)

Regarding my comment about Sondre Stromfjord being the only alternate
in Greenland, while editing I inadvertantly dropped an important
qualifier, namely, that I was looking at material related to flying
the North Atlantic between Europe and North America.  Thule seems to
be a fine alternate, but it's much too far north to be of interest
for the routes I was writing about.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com