Re: Fracturing the Pacific

Date:         20 Aug 97 02:38:37
From:         Chris Elberfeld <STOPSPAMelberfeld@sprintmail.com>

Karl Swartz wrote:
> >(I had the same thoughts concerning some Atlantic diversion sites in
> >Greenland earlier. To my knowledge no Greenland sites were expanded to
> >allow acces to bigger planes like 767s)
>
> In all the ETOPS literature I've read (early feasibility studies, UA
> flight supplement, etc.), the only alternate in Greenland is Sondre
> Stromfjord, <snip>

Someone in the NG is bound to have more precise info, but understand
that Thule has a failrly good sized runway. Prior to it being
decommsioned as a US Air Force base, USAF ran some pretty heavy iron
in there. SAS flew 767's in there until fairly recently; that service
has been replaced by First Air 727-10's, operating with Greelandair
flight numbers from SFJ.