Re: Dangerous Aircraft lighting

Date:         20 Aug 97 02:38:34
From:         no@junk.mail (Mike)

In article <airliners.1997.1805@ohare.Chicago.COM>, caribb@promobility.net
says...

>The San Francisco Chronicle recently published an interesting article
>concerning the aircraft visability while taxing on airport tarmacs. In
>effect it talked about how airplanes have not got a standardised
>lighting system to clearly identify what type of plane they are and what
>they are doing. Control towers operators have trouble actually
>physically spotting planes on the ground at night and airlines are
>making it even harder by turining off their "logo lights" on their tails
>in order to save money. Futhermore smaller planes have even less
>lighting than the larger ones. All this contributes to possible danger
>when trying to coordinate where they are going and who sees each other.
>Anyone from North America or Europe have any insight on this?

Interesting since in this news group maybe a year or so ago somebody made the
comment that United planes are difficult to spot _during the day_.
Apperently the blue/gray blends into the tarmac well.

--
Because the junk mailers of the world think my address is their play thing,
my e-mail address will not be revealed.  Please respond publicly.