Re: MD-17 vs. MD-11F/DC-10F

Date:         07 Jan 97 07:20:21
From:         don@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Don Stokes)

Filip De Vos <FilipPC.DeVos@rug.ac.be> wrote:
>Karl Swartz (kls@ohare.Chicago.COM) wrote:
>: elimination of the flight engineer.  Given the huge disparity in
>: capital costs of a new 747-400F versus a 747-200, possibly converted
>: from a full depreciated 747-200B, these advantages are not terribly
>: compelling.
>
>The latter will not have a nose-door: so will not be able to load 20ft
>containers. Loading/unloading will take longer too. Whether that is enough

Why not?  I thought the whole point of the 747's high cockpit was that
the planes could be converted to freighters, complete with nose door,
when they were obsoleted by the SST.

I wouldn't have thought adding the nose door would have required
significant changes beyond the door itself and the structure immediately
surrounding the hinge mechanism.  It's not as if it's a major
load-bearing part of the aircraft.

--
Don Stokes, Network Manager, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.
don@vuw.ac.nz(work) don@zl2tnm.gen.nz(home) +64 4 495-5052 Fax+64 4 471-5386