Re: Why Russians airlines usually make no-ILS approach/landings?

Date:         20 Aug 97 02:38:33
From:         Marcus Westermark <marcusw@clinet.fi>

John Hilt wrote:
> On 01 Aug 97 04:04:20 , "William Caefer" <bcaefer@primenet.com> wrote:
> >Also, maybe because visual approaches take less time and effort. This
> >saves the airline money.
>
> A relatively early descent gives the most fuel efficient approach for
> jet airliners.

> >Actually, if I lived as close to the only real source of the answer as you
> >do (ie: Russian pilots) I'd try to stroll on over to the airport and ask a
> >couple of them some questions about how they fly and procedures for their
> >airlines.  All pilots like to talk about flying after all.  :)
>
> I've tried talking to them, but they're only interested in what they
> can bring home for free. Like worn-out car tyres, food and live
> chickens. :-)

Being a newcomer to this group, must I strongly disapprove such
underestimation's and stereotyping of Russian pilots and aviation!

Having flown as a passenger in a lot of airliners, operated both by
"western" and Russian pilots, is my confidence much higher in general in
the Russian pilots.

I'm sure various incidence has occurred both in west and east - but let
us flip the coin:
I can assure you all, that if we would populate present Russian
airliners with American pilots, and especially those flying on routes to
smaller destinations all around FSU (formal Soviet Union), would we have
planes dropping at least 10 times as frequent they are!

Most Russian pilots has a training and skills far more comprehensive
than in any western country - and would underline flying skills. Among
many of them, especially in the older generation, is a military pilot
background almost a rule.

Why do Russian airlines usually make no-ILS approach/landings?
Unfortunately can I not answer that question! But Russian pilots do
operate safely Russian airliners in conditions, where most western
airliners and pilots wouldn't "survive" a single day.

Living in a country - Finland - with highly respected pilots, would I
still prefer having airline pilots to be chosen also on other criteria's
than academic success.
How many of these young "highly trained" pilots, would keep their head
cool even in a likely to happen situation - a shutdown need of a turbine
during take-off??

regards
Marcus

Ps. About language skills and worn out car tires - maybe you should find
out the reality before making such statements