Re: O'Hare Accident

Date:         19 Aug 97 04:14:06
From:         lstone@wwa.com (Larry Stone)

In article <airliners.1997.1817@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kenish@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>Larry Stone wrote:
>>
>> As long as you
>> keep the wings level, you can "fly" a plane all day in a stall with very
>> little risk.

>An aircraft with both wings stalled is *not* flying, at least no more
>than a Steinway or a rock!

That's why I put "fly" in quotation marks. A plane like the Piper Warrior
(which I owned for 7 years), given the right pitch, will drop in and out
of a stall continuosly. The wings stall, the nose drops, the plane starts
flying, the nose comes back up, the wings stall, repeat...

>A stall is very little risk...until terra firma interferes with your
>stall recovery plans.

If only the media understood that. Oh well... At least I can dream.

--
-- Larry Stone --- lstone@wwa.com
   http://www.wwa.com/~lstone/