Re: Virgin Atlantic becomes first A340-600 customer; Air Canada orders

Date:         18 Aug 97 02:22:16
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

Marc Schaeffer  <marcmsc@geocities.com> wrote:
>Celestar 9V-SJH wrote:
>> I doubt Singapore Airlines will go for either A340-600 or the B777-200X.
>> They have mentioned that the B777-200X is too big for their long-haul
>> routes and are unhappy that Boeing is not offering the B777-100X.
>
>The situation of Singapore Airlines is special. They have still 41
>options for the B777. I don't know of any options for the A340.

SIA had options on 20 A340s.  However, I believe some have expired.

>The 41
>options were signed with the B777-100X in mind. If the B777-200X is not
>corresponding to their needs what are they going to do with all these
>options?

That's not true.  The 41 options, of which ten are for its leasing
operation, can be switched to any models.  Even some of the current
order of 29 can be switched to other models including the -300.

>A part may be converted to -200IGW's (for traffic growth), the other
>ones may never be converted to a firm order. Canceling the options may
>not be very cheap.

Again, not correct.  SIA did not order any -200A because SIA thought
the resale value of the -200A would be significantly less than the
-200IGW.

>The A340-500 is rangewise (8300nm) not as performant as the -200X
>(~8500nm) and seats 10 more passengers. The dead born A340-8000 with
>8000nm and 240 passengers could be a compromise, but it looks like the
>plane Singapore Airlines is asking for is not going to be launched that
>soon ...

Well, both Boeing and Airbus are working with SIA to launch either
a heavier B777-200X (than the originally proposed one) or a
high-gross-weight A340-500.  SIA will need some ultra-long-range planes
to take advantage of the new open-skies bilateral signed between the US
and Singapore.  I'm reasonably certain that SIA will order one of them
in a not too distant future.