Avon STOLport(was Re: Whatever happened to the Dash 7)

Date:         07 Jan 97 07:20:21
From:         erikg3@aol.com (ERIKG3)

>Except for the harbour runway in downtown London, I don't think that the
>STOL
>capabilities of the -7 were ever really utilized.

I think the true test of the Dash 7 was the old STOLport at Avon, near
Vail Colorado.  And its a pity it is gone, because it was a lot closer to
Vail and Beaver Creek than EGE Eagle County Airport is today.  Does anyone
know why this airport was closed? The land had not been developed the last
time I was up there.
Landing at ZBV(?) must have taken some skill.  I'm sorry I never took the
chance to fly Rocky Mountain Airways (Scareways) from Stapleton.
-Erik