Re: $%#% news media! (UA 737 engine failure in Portland, Or)

Date:         17 Aug 97 15:41:08
From:         "Steven G. Thomson" <sthomson@i1.net>

Wayne Dohnal <wayne_dohnal@ccm.co.*intel*.com> wrote in article
<airliners.1997.1791@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> A United 737 lost an engine on departure from Portland, Or. Friday morning
> and returned with an uneventful landing.  The first report I heard on the
> local news said that they dumped fuel before landing.  I didn't think the
> 737 could dump fuel.  Can it?
> Does the media ever get it right?

The 737-200 did not have fuel dump capabilities because its MGTOW and MLW
were very close. I can't speak for the big fan versions, but I suspect they
are the same.

As for the media: I have usually found they frequently get it wrong with
things I know about, which leads me to the obvious conclusion. They must be
also getting it wrong with the things I don't know about!
--
Steven G. Thomson
Arnold, Missouri