Re: differents in DC10-30 and -40

Date:         17 Aug 97 01:57:20
From:         Tom Gibson <tgibson@sunstroke.sdsu.edu>

Kees de Lezenne Coulande wrote:
>      There might be more to this than meets the eye. Many years ago
> (probably Spring 1979) I was photographing landing aircraft at Miami (MIA).
> When I had developed the pictures, it turned out that I had photographed
> the same National Airlines DC-10-30 on successive days with and without the
> centre gear. This didn't seem right, so I checked the photographs very
> carefully for airframe differences, but did not find any.

There is a photo of a National DC-10-30 at LAX without the center gear
extended in the new book "Airliners at LAX".  LAX is also hot, but not
high, so National must have had some sort of policy about the center
gear (or a National crew liked to do it sometimes!).

--
Tom Gibson
Classic Airliner Page:    http://members.aol.com/TGFltsim/